History

 
Founded in 1884, the Lisbon Zoo was the first park with fauna and flora in the Iberian Peninsula. Its founders were several - Dr. Pedro Van Der Laan, José Thomaz Sousa Martins and Barão de Kessler - who had the support of several personalities, Rei D. Fernando II and the zoologist José Vicente Barboza do Bocage

The first facilities were located in Parque São Sebastião da Pedreira, which was lent for free by its owners. 
Later, the park moved to Palhavã and on May 28, 1905, the new and definitive premises were inaugurated at Quinta das Laranjeiras. On March 12, 1913, the Zoo was declared a Public Utility Institution.

The many consignments of animals from Africa and Brazil contributed to the fact that, over the years, the Lisbon Zoo has had one of the largest and most diverse animal collections in the world.

In fact, some governors of the former overseas provinces stood out in contributing to the enrichment of the zoological collection with specimens of little known and very attractive exotic species.

In 1952, the Lisbon City Council awarded the Lisbon Zoo with the Gold Medal of the City.
The fall of the Estado Novo in 1974 and the consequent independence of the former colonies in Africa, meant the breaking of the strong support given to the Lisbon Zoo by the authorities in the diversification and renewal of the animal collection. By this time, the number of visitors decreased substantially and there there were drastic cuts in state subsidies.

Therefore, it was necessary to develop and implement a new management strategy for the Lisbon Zoo, adapting it to the values and needs of the time.

In 1990, the new management policy adopted by Félix Naharro Pires, who in the meantime took office as President of the Lisbon Zoo, aimed at modernizing existing facilities, as well as services.
In this way, specific work areas were created with unique goals, to improve the collection and animal welfare, their diet and veterinary care.

In parallel, commercial services, marketing, public relations and the press were created in order to make the Park more dynamic and to be a privileged partner for companies.

Promoting conservation education to the visiting public was also one of the main concerns, which rapidly resulted in the establishment of a new service, the Educational Department.

Currently the Lisbon Zoo plays its role as na educator, with the advantage of having one of the best classrooms in the country, whose animal collection, space and activities provide an attractive and successful learning.
The Lisbon Zoo has ceased to be an animal showroom to take an active role in the protection and conservation of Nature. The improvement of the facilities for the animals resulted in a birth rate increase.

The Veterinary Hospital, opened in 2008, was considered the best in Europe, by the European Association of Zoos and Aquariums - EAZA.

Nowadays, the Lisbon Zoo is different, with a new mission and a new message. Features new attractions and facilities. The Lisbon Zoo is a place where conservation and education combine with a strong component of entertainment and fun.

In this new Zoo live around 2000 animals in a group of approximately 300 species, including mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.
Zoo Imagem

SEO da página actual

Zoo Imagem TAGS: historia , zoo , jardim , zoologico
DESCRIPTION: Inaugurado em 1884, o Jardim Zoologico de Lisboa foi o primeiro parque com fauna e flora da Peninsula Iberica, contando ja com 134 anos de historia.